The twelve years of the National Socialist regime – 1933 to 1945 – violently changed the face of Europe. Berlin, the imperial capital, was transformed beyond recognition as the Second World War returned to the place where it had begun. Yet even without the destruction caused by the war, the Nazis would have completely unhinged Berlin’s historical development with their plans to remodel the city.
The exhibition, “Germania – Shadows and Traces of the Imperial Capital” threw new light onto the historical site around the river Spree near Hauptbahnhof (Central Station) and the former ministerial gardens. The exhibit’s spectrum spanned from the disastrous collapse during construction of the North-South S-Bahn line, to the planning of the “Great Hall”, through to the accumulation of rubble in so-called mounts of debris (like the “Teufelsberg”) during Berlin’s post-war reconstruction.
This documentation brought together and demonstrated the relationship between selected construction plans; building techniques; organisational methods; and the social and political background of National Socialism in the historically controversial area between the “Memorial to the Murdered Jews of Europe” and the “Topography of Terror”. Particular attention was paid to the consequences of the “relocation plans” for Berlin’s Jews.
For this exhibition, the Berliner Unterwelten e.V. (Berlin Underworlds society) has assembled years of its own findings on this subject, together with the latest research available. A large variety of photos, building plans and architectural models – of the “Great Hall” and the “North-South Axis” – complemented the prepared texts.
Mar. 15th, 2008 – Dec. 31st, 2009
Pavillon Gertrud-Kolmar-Straße 14